Taking the family on vacation in the winter is a wonderful way to explore the great outdoors and enjoy your favorite winter sports like cross-country skiing, snowmobiling, and good old fashioned sledding. Before heading out in your motorhome, make sure you and your RV are both prepared to drive in potentially treacherous conditions. Here are a few tips from the team at DuraFlap RV Mud Flaps:
- Prepare your tires. Even if you aren’t anticipating icy conditions, it’s a good idea to have a set of properly fitting snow chains whenever you head out in the winter. You never know when Mother Nature may change her plans and throw challenging weather your way. Better yet, consider purchasing seasonal tires that are best suited for the area you will be traveling through.
- Prepare your water system. Consult with your trusted RV shop or manufacturer about protecting your RV or motorhome’s water systems. They should provide you with directions about emptying water tanks, using antifreeze, insulating pipes, and using electrically heated hoses and space heaters.
- Have emergency supplies on board. Be sure to pack extra food, water, blankets, batteries, flashlights, first aid supplies, and waterproof boots just in case you become snowbound. Being stocked up will allow you more flexibility to camp a few days longer if you need to wait out a storm.
- Be ready for rear-wheel driving. If the roads get slick, practice driving with rear-wheel drive and leave plenty of distance between you and other vehicles on the road. If you begin to slide, calmly pump the breaks to regain control. Also, by shutting off your exhaust brake on diesel RVs, you will help prevent the back-end of your RV from swerving and heading towards the ditch.
- If you’re pulling a trailer, be extra cautious. Trailers are very difficult to control on snow and ice. When pulling a trailer, you may want to consider camping out and waiting for the storm to pass or roads to clear. If you must be on the road, drive extra carefully and avoid sharp turns.
Don’t Forget the RV Mud Flaps!
Wherever your journeys take you, a new set of RV mud flaps from DuraFlap not only give your motorhome a custom look, they prevent flying rocks and debris from hitting other cars on the road, keep your toad safe, and deflect snow and mud away from your tires. Our products are durable, easy to install, and perfectly sized for your vehicle. Contact us today to get started!